What Is Modern Setup Host & Is It Safe? Also Fix High CPU Usage Issues
Modern Setup Host is a self-extracting installation program & a core component of the Windows operating systems, found in local disks C. If you find it, it's likely that the Windows system you're using is a beta version, typically called Windows Technical Preview.
Modern Setup Host runs in the background automatically when your beta Windows system detects or installs updates or upgrades your windows.
Is The Modern Setup Host File Safe?
This file is developed by Microsoft Edge, so you can safely keep it on your computer ensuring your privacy & security. You should note that malware or viruses may masquerade in the form of setuphost.exe on the computer.
You may end up installing a virus-ridden version of Modern Setup Host if you get the software setup file from an unofficial source or third-party website. That can lead to problems like low battery life & window performance issues.
The question is, how do you identify whether the modern setup host file on your computer is legitimate, or is there any virus hiding in it?
Talks Corner has brought to you the simplest yet modern method to do this which is discussed below. Also, have you ever felt Instagram Couldn’t Refresh Feed issues? Please click the link and read our article to fix the problem.
Review The Properties Of The Modern Setup Host File
Navigate to the folder (Local Disk (C:) > $WINDOWS.*BT > Sources) where setuphost.exe is saved. You can also type setuphost.exe in the search bar, choose setuphost.exe in the results and open the file.
Select Properties by right-clicking setuphost.exe. Make sure Microsoft Corporation's Copyright is shown in the Details tab.
You should also check the Name of signer column from the account for Microsoft Windows in the Digital Signatures tab.
You can determine if the setuphost.exe file is original by looking for these signs. In any case, if Modern Setup Host continues to exhaust your system resources, it is recommended that you use antivirus software to scan your computer for viruses.
Why Has The Modern Setup Host A Very High CPU Resource Usage?
You already have the Modern Setup Host installed on your PC so that it can install Windows upgrades regularly. The setuphost.exe file is responsible for doing everything, and it requires about 15-30 minutes.
Depending on how long the process lasts and how much CPU your PC has to handle, it might be because it increases the CPU load on your computer.
You may have problems downloading and installing computer updates due to sluggish hard drive speeds.
- The temporary files on your computer are corrupted or contradictory to your account.
- Windows Update is stalling the process.
- The background of the computer is full of applications.
Use antivirus software or logo key to rule out the possibility of someplace regaining a virus. In the event that there is no virus on the host and all of it is still functional, proceed to the next fixes.
Windows Fix: Modern Setup Host High
Windows Update problems are most often to blame for Modern Setup Host errors. Here are the simplest ways to solve this issue.
Our discussion will further cover how to optimize PC performance in the case of Modern Setup Host at 100% disk usage.
Run The Windows Update Troubleshooter
It is best to run the Windows Update troubleshooter to resolve the Modern Setup Host error. Windows 10 comes with this built-in tool.
You need to download the troubleshooter from Microsoft's website if your computer runs Windows 7 or 8.
You can run Windows 10's troubleshooter by following these steps to resolve set up file problem:
- Simply press the Windows key and the S key on the keyboard.
- Enter the “troubleshoot” command.
- From the result list, select Troubleshoot.
- Click on Windows Update on the right side of the screen.
- Go to Troubleshooter and click on Run.
- Identify and solve the problems with the help of the troubleshooter.
- Solve the problems by following the instructions on your screen.
Here are the instructions for Windows 7 and Windows 8:
- Install the Microsoft troubleshooter from the Microsoft website.
- Once the troubleshooter has been downloaded, double-click its executable file to run it.
- Click Next after selecting Windows Update.
- All issues will now be detected and fixed by the Windows Update troubleshooter.
Delete The Items In The Software Distribution Folder
A Windows 10 user can find all necessary temporary files in the Software Distribution folder.
Occasionally, this folder can contain unnecessary files that prevent the updates from being installed. Below are the steps you can follow to resolve this issue:
- To open Run, press Windows Key+R on your keyboard.
- The path is as follows: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
- Click OK if you want to continue.
- Press the Ctrl+A key to select everything in the folder. Select the items you'd like to delete, then right-click to select Delete.
- There may be a message stating that folder access is denied. Select the checkbox for 'Do this for all items on the pop-up window.
- Restart the computer.
- If the Modern Setup Host error continues to appear, restart your computer and install the updates again.
Scan With DISM
A botched update for Windows may be the cause of modern setup host problems. It is a good thing that DISM is available for Windows 10.
You might be able to resolve the problem using this application. You can operate your PC's DISM tool using the following procedures:
- Go to your taskbar and click Search.
- Use the command "cmd" (without quotation marks).
- Run the command as an administrator by right-clicking Command Please check the results.
- If asked to authorize, click Yes.
You can also repair your windows using the DISM command tool. For more details read the article.
Disable Windows Update
Disabling Windows Update is an effective way to resolve the Modern Setup Host problem. As long as you don't want Windows 10 or aren't planning to upgrade, this is a good alternative if you don't want to install any updates.
For Windows Update to be disabled on your PC for setup host follow these steps:
- Click on the Run button. Windows Key+R will allow you to do this.
- To do this, type in "services.MSC" (no quotation marks), then press Enter.
- Right-click the Windows Update entry in the Services window once it appears.
- Then select Properties.
- Make sure the Startup type option is set to Disable in the General tab.
- Stop the program by clicking the Stop button.
- To take no action, choose Do Not Respond on the First Failure tab.
- Click Apply and OK to save the changes.
Use The Default Window System Language
A computer's system language can also cause issues with Windows Update if it doesn't match the language of the system UI. The following solutions can assist you in solving this problem:
Verifying the default language of your system's user interface
- You can access this by pressing Windows Key+S.
- Please enter "cmd" (no quotation marks).
- Select Run as Administrator from the right-click menu of Command Prompt.
- Click Yes to access the program.
- Press Enter after typing "dism /online /get-intl" (without quotes). Now you can view your system's default language.
Wrapping Up: Ensure Your Safety By Staying Up-to-Date
Keep your computer updated with Modern Setup Host. Nevertheless, you should check for a virus or malware when a process uses a lot of CPU.
Verify that the installation file is authentic and signed by the developer or manufacturer. A process called antivirus scanning (learn more) is another way to determine how safe a file is.
In the event that none of the suggestions work, you may have to restore your PC to its factory settings in order to fix the Modern Setup Host's high disk usage.
You can also consult Windows Dev Center for further assistance.